Change The Grub Menu's Background Image Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex)

The first thing i noticed after installing Ubuntu is the boot grub menu looks really sucks, B/W and plain , doesnt look pretty for my eyes...for a woman, outer appearance is important (at least for me..^_^)

I was installing mandrake years ago, and the first thing i remember was, i really loved the mandrake LILO menu's appearance..so i cant wait to ask my guru, his name is Google ^_^, he told me ways to change the hurting-my-eyes-Ubuntu's Grub menu's appearance.

So, i choose an image, open it with GIMP.

From Menu, Select Image -> Scale Image, Change the size to 640x480px.

I should change the color's composition since Grub only allowed maximum 14 colour, go to Image -> Mode -> Indexed

screenshot-aceryui2jpg-10-rgb-1-layer-640x480-e28093-gimp

fill 14, for maximum number of colors.

screenshot-indexed-color-conversion

also choose Floyd-Steinberg (reduced color bleeding) for color dithering,and enable dithering of transparency, this makes the pics look softer (imho).

Save the file in the format .xpm.gz

screenshot-save-image

Open terminal, goto directory where you save the file, i save the file in my home directory

cd /home/nurul

then copy the file to directory /boot/grub/splashimages

sudo cp yui.xpm.gz /boot/grub/splashimages

Then Open menu.lst file, type :

sudo gedit /boot/grub.menu.lst

in the menu.lst file, edit the splashimage section, change the image name with the name of image you desire to use as grub menu background, here is mine :

splashimage=(hd0,2)/boot/grub/splashimages/yui.xpm.gz

i also want to change the grub menu list, this is how my menu settings, (you can change it the way you like) :

screenshot-menulst-boot-grub-gedit-1

I've deleted some lists that i dont want it to appear when i see the grub menu by simply delete the line or added # in the beginning of the line.

Save the file.

Reboot.

Share on Google Plus

0 comments: